Thursday, June 5, 2014

Neuros and Pros!!

Today was my neurology appointment in Columbus with The Ohio State University Medical Center. I really enjoyed it, surprisingly enough. The drive up wasn't bad---of course, I was riding, not driving though! Traffic wasn't too bad and we zipped right up the road.  J did wonderful and didn't look around too much, which he likes to do when we are out of small town America. The center was very nice, the employees were all so nice, helpful, and friendly! We arrived almost an hour early. They went ahead, registered us, and took vitals. Right at 1pm, they took me back to the room where we waited for the resident physician.
 
The physician was a resident but very thorough. He asked all the neurological-y questions, did all kinds of physical tests. He took the MRI and discs to confer with the attending physician. Then, they both came back. The doctor told me that I do have "low-lying cerebellar tonsils" and pretty significant sinus damage. The cerebellar tonsils are a little hang-downy part of my cerebellum (a small part of the brain.) They actually hang so low that that they almost rest on the skull. This can cause interruption in the flow of CSF-cerebral spinal fluids-to the brain. They believe this may be the cause of the intensly sharp pains I experience anytime when I strain along with a number of other things that go along with limited or decreased CSF flow in the brain.
 
From what I have read, CSF is the jelly fluid stuff that surrounds your brain. It is what keeps your brain afloat and allows for movements without causing significant damage to the brain. If this fluid is low, flow is stopped, there is too much, or anything at all changes, the brain reacts very poorly. If the cerebellar tonsils lay too low, they can actually limit and/or reduce the flow of CSF from your spine into your skull to surround the brain. So the pains are similar to wrapping a string around your finger (don't try it.... most people have done it before, but can cause your digits to fall of...) then remove the string. The blood rushed into the finger and it hurts very badly at that point. The same happens with the cerebellar tonsils if they lie to low in the brain.
 
The doctors ordered ((MORE)) MRI's. These are going to be an MRI of the CSF flow and an MRI  of the internal auditory canal. I've already had a general MRI, MRA, CT, and Myelogram. This new one will be an MRI that looks at the flow of the CSF around the brain and spinal cord. The MRI of the auditory canal is because of the constant thrumming that I hear in my left ear. I can consistently hear my heartbeat and when there are super loud or close noises like hammering, phone ringing-like I'm calling someone else and it's ringing, and semis driving by. My ears look fine, not obstructions or anything. However, they are connected to both the sinus cavity and the brain.
 
My testing appointments are actually scheduled for a week from Sunday, yes Sunday! I was shocked that they do testing on the weekends, especially outpatient ones! I am also being referred to a neurosurgeon. They want to make sure that nothing needs to be done surgically to correct the problem in order to maintain CSF levels. They can remove a small piece of the skull and cervical vertebrae to allow for a straighter path for the flow. She said she didn't think this would ne necessary, but wanted them to check it out too.
 
So I am a happy camper that I have gotten some answers. Not full diagnosis and plan of approach, but some answers are better than what I've gotten from Holzer at all. The MRI that showed all of this was done well over a year ago and went unnoticed until a couple weeks ago. The doctor who read it even said that everything was normal-made no mention of the tonsils at all. He did not some sinus impaction. I go back in 10 days for the MRI's, the followup with a neurosurgen. Then I will return to the regular neuro for a follow up in 1-2 months.
 
I think today has been successful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment