Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Thinking... & Brains


Brains and thinking..
 
I am seeing a Neurologist at Ohio State Medical Center in a little over a week. They called today to schedule the appointment, but I can't remember the doctor's name. They are supposed to send a packet with more information, so I am hoping that will include the doctor's name because what I wrote down after the call is clearly NOT the name the woman said. Anyways, I am glad to be seeing someone who may be able to provide me with answers as opposed to just doing more testing that comes back "normal." I am glad that my MRI showed that I have no tumors or abnormal growths, my MRI showed no aneurysms or blood problems, and my CT showed no leaks of spinal fluid. I am happy about all of that, but not having answers is frustrating. I would like to know where the pain comes from, why, and with what risks, ((Backstory- For the past approximately two years, I have had strange symptoms. Every time I strain-lifting, pushing, pulling, straining, etc. I get a sharp blinding searing pain in my forehead. In the beginning it was just with heavy strain-moving furniture, carrying heavy laundry, constipation, etc. Over time it has become much more frequent. Every time I roll over in bed, stretch in the mornings, look up and bend backwards, bend over for a few minutes then stand up, etc. According to my Holzer neurologist, I have a pretty significant bend in my spinal cord where it enters my brain, but she was unsure of the how, why, and what that entailed. So she referred me to OSU Neurology. I just want to know why and if it is dangerous, etc. I also have realized in the past few weeks that I can't remember things that I should be able to. I can't remember the events of a day past yesterday. I couldn't tell you what I did on Sunday or before. With the exception of HUGE events, I can't remember what happened that day or what we did. I know I probably went to church and had dinner with family, but I can't say for certain that I did or what I did in between. It's become really frustrating and interfering with my job and life. I'm also forgetting little daily tasks like feeding the cat, running the sweeper, etc. I even forgot to put the car in park the other day at the grocery store! Ahhhh. So that's my brain and all the craziness that is up there.
 
As far as thinking goes... Why is it that some people are capable of intricate and critical thinking while other are only able to "skim the surface." They are unable to process deeper feelings and emotions. Is this a cause from environmental triggers and causes, genetics, or emotional and nurturing causes. I believe it is less of genetic causes and more of either emotional or environmental because select children in families, large or small ones can develop deep thought process while others are more "skimmers."
 
I think there are also other things linked to the "thinking gene" such as creativity and organizational skills. People (as fas as I have observed) who are deep thinkers seem to be messy, unorganized, scattered, highly creative, abstract arts enthusiest, etc. Not to say these people can't be skimmers, but I am stereo-typing and not ashamed. I am speaking in terms of the class as a whole, not the exceptions to the class. So because of this, I blame the hierarchy of education in part. School system nowadays encourages tactile and very rigid thinking processes. Arts are reduced to minimum time slots-gym, art, music, etc. are so rare that students are lucky to partake once a week in each area. Recess is nearly non existent. Recess allows not only for an increase of energy release but it also allows an individual to remain creative and constructive. Reducing recess has caused an exponential growth in the over-diagnosis of ADD/ADHD. Children at ages under 10 especially should not be required to sit for lessons for hours on end. Teachers can only remain so creative in exercises that allow for students to move about in the room. All humans require a release of kenetic energy. By decreasing recess, arts, music, gym, etc. we are requiring children to be medicate to "learn more." I don't believe that children who are medicated, especially overly medicate will learn much of anything. They may not be disruptive, distracted, or otherwise misbehaving, but it isn't because they are being attentive or focused. It is because parts of their brains are "muted." This may appear to work great for classroom uses. It appears that they are learning, they are well behaved, and they score better on testings. BUT...what happens when they no longer WANT to take the medication, especially after high school. Many of these kids will stop taking the medication and have the attention problems all over again and consuming much of their lives. Also, how much of the education will they actually be able to express over their short attention spans and high energy levels.
 
Would it not be more responsible to educate these children on how to control their impulses? ((AGAIN, I AM SPEAKING ABOUT THE MASSES. I have personally seen and worked with the exceptions. The children who TRULY have ADHD/ADD and cannot manage these symptoms without medication. These children, sadly, are the exception to the class nowadays.)) ADHD/ADD is a medically diagnosed and "treated" disease, however there is no cure. This disease, only in its true form, causes an individual much strain and strife. It is overpowering and unmanageable. They are truly unable to concentrate on anything and focus on one single task. Children who are easily excitable and energetic should NOT be medicated to make them easier to instruct. Schools should have no part of diagnosis of or referral for treatment of ADD/ADHD. Children should be tested and treated by TRAINED medical professionals.
 
On the other side, children should not be "expected to perform." They are not monkeys in a circus or some trained dog. They are our CHILDREN for goodness sakes. They should be taught to excel, not score highly on a test. If a child learns best while taking many small breaks, then TAKE SMALL BREAKS! I believe that recess in 15 or 30 minute incriments should be mandatory. There should be a 15 minute break every 60 minutes at a MINIMUM. This would NOT include changing classes, lunch, restroom breaks, or arts, etc. This break would be strictly for the purpose of expelling energy through play and creativity. With these breaks children would be more focused and calm to attain high levels of learning.
 
I also on a side not am very against statewide stardardized testing. I think testing is necessary to gain insight into teaching and school districts. However, these tests should be INDIVIDUALIZED. Students should be tested on the first day of schooling, with no prior knowledge or prepping. Then they should be measured yearly based on previous testing to show an increase of knowledge base and critical thinking process. Schools will be graded based up the gaining of knowledge percentages. Individualized testing, not standardized testing. Our children are not standard. They are unique and different. Plain and simple.
 
I have gotten very off topic, but that's how this brain works. Right wrong or indifferent, that's how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment